August 7, 2013

Healthy Teen Girl Feature: Emily Harwell


Meet our amazing inaugural healthy teen girl feature, Emily! Currently serving as the Teen Advisor Co-Chair of the UN's GirlUp, she is the true definition of #GirlPower!


In her own words: "I’m Emily Harwell, a seventeen year old high school student from Tampa, Florida. I’m the co-chair of the Teen Advisor class for Girl Up a United Nations Foundation campaign that raises funds and awareness for UN programs that benefit girls in developing countries. As a Teen Advisor, I attend events (like Malala Day at the UN) on Girl Up's behalf, plan and host my own events, and help the Girl Up staff with campaign strategy. I am a role model because I spend my time helping less fortunate children."


Emily says: "My enthusiasm for global women’s issues was ignited when I read the book Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof. I couldn’t believe some of the things I read about what girls in developing countries face on a regular basis, and I knew that there had to be a way that I could help. Through Girl Up, I got an opportunity to truly make a difference in the lives of girls just like me but who are not fortunate enough to have the same opportunities I do."

We say: You go Emily! Keep raising funds and awareness to empower girls with resources they need to succeed. You are setting a great example for us all! 

Watch her video here to learn more about how she's changing the world around her to harness the global power of girls: http://www.girlup.org/about/teen-advisors/emily-co-chair.html

You may also follow her on Twitter: @EmilyHarwell

Are you (or someone you know) an inspirational teen girl doing great things in the community? If so, please e-mail us at info@girlshealthed.org. We'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment